Our vision is to be a beacon of religious freedom for all, welcoming and celebrating diversity. Grounded in Unitarian Universalist principles, we support individual spiritual journeys, lifelong learning and creative expression. Together, through personal and social action, we transform our community and our world.
Our mission is to promote spiritual growth and intellectual freedom through
- worship, drawing on wisdom from many traditions,
- lifelong religious education,
- music, arts, and creative expression,
- social and environmental activism, and
- fair and democratic governance.
Our values include:
- Friendship and Fellowship: We are committed to creating a caring community that supports personal growth, sustains us in times of joy and sorrow, and strengthens the bonds of community. Our Sunday services, library and religious education program offer opportunities to discover our religious, ethical, and moral center. Small ministry groups and a wide variety affinity groups provide places to get involved in church life, build personal relationships, and deepen spiritual awareness.
- Strength in Diversity: Our congregation values the notion that diversity–of people, practices, ideas, and theology–strengthens and enriches community. We welcome people of all abilities, ages, races and ethnicities, sexual orientations, and gender identities. Many members describe themselves as atheist or agnostic, while many others unabashedly believe in God. Many are influenced by earth-based spirituality, while others embrace Humanism with an emphasis on scholarly intellect, science, and social justice.
- Faith in Action: Our principles compel us to practice what we preach. We honor Earth by being a local leader in the Green Sanctuary movement. We serve our immediate neighborhood by tutoring at local schools, providing a community garden, and contributing food to the Martin Luther King Service Center. We work towards the legalization of same sex marriage in Indiana and advance other social justice issues. We are collaborating with the other UU congregations of Central Indiana to maximize our impact in greater Indianapolis.