How to Become a Volunteer
- Ask yourself how long you have been at UUI. Volunteers ministering in our RE program must be actively participating at UUI for at least 6 months.
- Read over the available volunteer opportunities and figure out what might be a good fit for you.
- Fill out the volunteer interest form.
- Wait for the Religious Educator to contact you, or contact the RE at re(at)uui.org or 317-283-4760.
- Once you have talked to the Religious Educator and depending on what role you are volunteering for, you may then need to fill out a volunteer application along with a UUI Background Check Release Authorization form.
- Attend a training/orientation to get you started and on your way!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: Do I have to be a parent to volunteer in UUI’s religious education program?
Q: Do all parents have to volunteer in the RE program?
Q: I want to help out, but I do not want to work directly with children/youth, can I still volunteer in RE?
Q: If I volunteer in RE, will I miss service?
Q: If I volunteer in RE, will I have to teach every Sunday?
Q: Will I have to volunteer in RE all year long?
A: No. The RE year is split up into three trimesters to better accommodates peoples’ busy schedules.Church school schedule:
- The end of summer through end of December (first trimester)
- January through May (second trimester)
- June through August (summer trimester)
Many RE volunteers find they want to stay with their class during the school year and stay on in their position for both first and second trimester, but this is not required. This trimester set up also gives volunteers a chance to try different volunteer positions throughout the year.
Note: There are a few classes that require volunteer commitments to span both first and second trimesters (e.g., the Coming of Age class).
Q: What happens if I begin to volunteer in RE and something comes up where I can no longer finish out my volunteer time?
Q: Do I need to fill a volunteer application and background check form?
Q: Does it cost anything to get a background check?
Q: I want to help but I have no idea where to begin or what would be a good fit for me. What do I do?