UUI Safe Church Policy
Click here for a pdf version of our policy.
Unitarian Universalist Church of Indianapolis (UUI) has made a commitment that members, friends and visitors of UUI feel welcomed, safe, respected and cared for. It is ultimately the responsibility of the entire congregation, not just those in leadership positions or formally signed members, but all community participants, to create and maintain a climate that supports the growth and welfare of everyone in the congregation.
The purpose of this policy is the following:
· To promote safety in all areas of congregational life (physical, emotional, intellectual, sexual, and spiritual), especially pertaining to the safety of children, youth, vulnerable adults, as well as all adult volunteers and church staff (workers) who provide direct care, supervision or instruction for children and youth at UUI.
· To provide training and guidelines for handling unsafe situations, safety concerns, and reported and alleged abuse.
· To reduce the possibility of sexual misconduct or child sexual abuse.
· To provide safeguards in case of false accusations of sexual abuse made against UUI volunteers and/or paid staff.
· To proactively establish a plan for addressing these issues of safety.